You must start your return from the CG SUPRT H&R Block Tax Software link to access this free offer.
The IRS will begin processing efile returns on January 31, 2014. If you complete your returns with the H&R Block Tax Software service offered through CG SUPRT prior to the 31th of January, your files will be held in a pending status. Once efile opens, the system automatically submits the return to the IRS.
This is the same free tax preparation program you may have used in past years. So, if you created an H&R Block account last year, your login credentials for that account will still work and you will be able to access last year’s personal tax information.
For technical assistance with the H&R Block Tax Software tool, please call 1-800-HRBLOCK (472-5625).
To learn more about the H&R Block Tax service, please see the FAQs.
If you have questions about this tax service or about your own tax returns, please call 855-CG SUPRT (247-8778) and ask to schedule an appointment with a CG SUPRT tax consultant. Trained tax consultants are available 5 days a week (Monday – Friday) from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m., EST by appointment.
Best practices for filing your taxes
- Have all of your documents and information ready when preparing your taxes—Social Security number, TIN’s, W-2’s, 1099 forms, expense documents, bank account information in case of refund, etc.
- Be sure to disclose all of your income from the year—including wages, investments, etc.
- Determine the best way to file for yourself—prepare your taxes online, paper file, or take them to a preparer.
- File early—it’s best to do it once you receive all of your documents, reducing the risk of misplacing them, reducing the wait time of receiving a refund, and/or avoiding penalties for late filing.
- Know the deadline for filing your taxes—it is not always the same date every year. This year it is Monday, April 15, 2013
The following are eligible for the CG SUPRT tax service:
- All Active-duty and selected reserve members of the U.S. Coast Guard.
- Spouses and dependent children of the services noted above, and who are authorized in DEERS.
- All civilian employees (GS) of the U.S. Coast Guard
- Household members and dependents of U.S. Coast Guard civilian employees.
NOTE: Except as detailed above US Coast Guard members activated under Title 10 are not eligible for this service. These members should be referred to Military One Source at 1-800-342-9647 as they are eligible for tax assistance, under the Military OneSource tax service program.